Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sea Wheeze: A Footnote

It has been brought to my attention--by the two people who actually ran the race with me, no less--that my last post didn't really have anything good to say about the Sea Wheeze.  While grueling, the experience was not without its positives.

1. I had the courage to start
At first, the idea to do a half-marathon was ludicrous, then tempting, but when I signed up, it became a reality.  It was a crazy idea, but I'm pretty impressed with myself for even agreeing to do it in the first place.  Facing such a long path towards doing a half-marathon was daunting, but despite all the reasons I shouldn't do it, I still decided to give it a try; I'm not sure that there are a lot of people in my same position that would have made the same decision.  And that's pretty awesome.


2. I surprised myself
I didn't realize how strong I was until I dragged myself 13.1 miles and across that finish line.  Though I wanted to many, many times, I didn't give up, and I was pleasantly surprised by my own determination, moxie, stubbornness, and grit. Mind blown--in a good way.



3. I Finished.
I ran a little and walked the rest of 13.1 miles in a day and lived to tell the tale. I didn't finish in the top anything, but I did finish, and they gave me a medal to prove how badass a feat it really is. How many people do you know who have actually done a half marathon? Because I have. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.



4.  I may actually like running someday.
It was only for a little while, and it wasn't something that I did particularly well, but I could see how people can actually like this whole running thing.  I think given time, practice, and a better fitness level, it could actually be--dare I say--fun?


So there you have it--a few good things that came out of the Sea Wheeze!

1 comment:

  1. Your great uncle Bill and his Anne were both chunky couch potatoes for most of their adult lives. Then one day they decided to get in shape. They started walking every day, then little by little added running and working out. They use a gym and a trainer. Now, Bill at 67 is in the best shape ever and Anne looks like she wears a size six? Amazing

    ReplyDelete