Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Boarding the Crazy Train

Last week, I got an email from my friend LK (formerly Bridesmaid Sunrise), proposing a trip to Vancouver in August.

To run a half-marathon. 

I must be crazy.  No, wait, I know I'm crazy.

Because I agreed to do it.

Let's set aside for a second the fact that I'm not even remotely close to being the marathon-running type. I am about as far away from a runner as you can get. And my Bucket List has never included a marathon, half or otherwise.

But I was intrigued.  I decided to give the idea a second thought.  Then a third thought.  And then I gave it some serious consideration.  And I spent the better part of an afternoon pondering whether I should do this.

After that I did research. What's the appropriate amount of time needed to prepare to run a half-marathon? Let's be real: I'm overweight and massively out of shape. If a pack of ravenous wolves was chasing me and I had to run a mile right now, I wouldn't be able to do it--I'd be wolf bait.  But what I found as I googled and read, and googled some more, was that it had been done before, and it was most definitely possible.

I'm under no illusions that this will be an easy undertaking, but it's something that I really want to try. Remember how I decreed that 2012 would be the year of "Progress?"  I totally think this counts.

3 comments: