Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Smart Case for a Smart Phone

Over the weekend, I finally became a fully functioning member of the smart phone club.  Mr. Goodlaff and I have wanted iPhones for a loooong time, but living in the boonies with limited cell coverage meant that they were not the best investment.  When we moved to Seattle, we decided, we would take full advantage of good cell coverage and get the long-desired iPhone.



And now we have.

I had my heart set on a Great Gatsby iPhone cover from Uncommon Goods, but it won't fit the iPhone model I got.  My little English Major heart is very sad. I've found and ordered another case, but until it gets here, I want to keep my phone protected.

Enter this iPhone sleeve tutorial from Dog Under My Desk.  I chose a dandelion fabric that I had laying about (truth be told, I have a lot of fabric laying about), and an hour or so later, I had a nice, padded sleeve to store my phone:



The tutorial was really easy to follow, but I have a few problems with the construction of the sleeve.  You layer all of the pieces together and turn it, then fold it over and sew up the sides.  It was really hard to sew through all of the layers of batting, fabric, and interfacing folded over at the end.  My sewing machine and I almost got into a fight, but ultimately, I triumphed. 

I'm pretty sure I could come up with an easier way of sewing a sleeve, but I probably won't, because I have one done, and I'm lazy.  I'm hoping that my new case won't add too much bulk to the phone and that I'll be able to use the case and the sleeve for added protection going forward.  The phone is insured, but I can be a bit of a disaster;  I'll take all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment