Sunday, January 8, 2012

Resolutions

I have a tendency to over-do it on resolutions.  When I make them, I make a lot of them (what can I say?  I'm ambitious like that).  However, my follow through on resolutions is not anywhere equal to my enthusiasm for making them.  A few weeks in--a few months in at best--I abandon my best intentions and then resolve to do better the next year. 

This year, I'm not making any one resolution; I'm not even making multiple resolutions.  Given past precedent, my resolutions are only made to be broken. Instead, I'm going to follow Halsey of Spunky Junky's lead, and let one word set the tone for the entire year:



I know it's a little vague, but isn't that kind of the point? A lot of things can be filed under "progress"--that's the beauty of this method. As long as I'm moving forward, making progress, I'll be able to count the year a success. (The lazy girl's way around a resolution?)

What am I planning on making progress in? Lots of things!

I'm going to get more organized.  My closet and my crafting supplies are woefully unkempt.  It would be nice to be able to find things when I really need them, cutting down on multiple craft supply purchases. 

I'm hoping to make progress through my bookshelves.  At last count, I had more than 25 unread books waiting for their turn to shine.  I'm a book hoarder--it's a sickness. 

I'm a bit of a schizophrenic crafter.  I've never been one for settling down into one medium and perfecting my skills.  I knit, I sew, I can scrapbook and stamp, I make jewelry, and I'm game for anything that involves a glue gun.  The variety keeps me on my toes, but it also means that I have ADD when it comes to projects.  I'm in the middle of something when--ooh, shiny!--something new comes along, and before I know it, I have about four different projects in production.  Progress on this front will be when I complete one project before starting another, or when I start doing the projects I've purchased supplies for before getting distracted by the next big crafty thing.

The other thing I'm looking for progress on? Well, it's not very original.  Everyone and their mother vows to lose weight at the beginning of the year. It lacks creativity, but yeah, Mr. Goodlaff and I want to make progress towards being healthier.  I'm not going to train for a marathon, and we probably won't stop cooking recipes that we know are bad for us (give up cheese and bread? yeah right!), but we're going to make some smarter choices for the sake of our health.

Lofty goals, but definitely worth it.

So, here we go.  2012 is all about progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment