Thursday, January 26, 2012

Faking Feathers

At the beginning of December I went to the Urban Craft Uprising here in Seattle--a craft show for indie, city-types. There were a lot of cool, handmade things, like these purses from Crystalyn Kae:

(I got one for Christmas!)

And I bought a cute embroidery pattern from This Tiny Existence:


But, as the old adage goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and a lot of things were--well, let's just say that they were not my taste.  There was quite the variety of knitted items, recycled pieces, and crazy jewelry. I did find a pair of earrings that I loved, but one look at the price tag, coupled with the fact that I knew it was something I would be able to make myself, meant I walked away.

They were like these feather earrings, but made with floaty, teal chiffon instead.



A few weeks ago, I finally gave them a try.  I didn't have teal chiffon, but I did have white chiffon (from a previous wedding hair flower experiment) and all the other supplies on hand.  Here's what I ended up with:


They need a little bit of perfecting (to stop the chiffon from fraying, you have to burn the edges, then the shape gets a bit messed up), but I think I'm on to something here. 

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Cute!
    And also....I love the "top of your blog". I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it. How did you do that? I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header? I made it using a free font that I downloaded from Dafont.com, and then manipulated that and the image in Photoshop.

      There's this fantastic how-to on customizing your blog at Sweet Verbena. It will show you how to make your own header and more!

      http://sweet-verbena.blogspot.com/2012/01/faq-blog-design-101-tutorial.html

      Delete